I will be the first to admit that I am not a huge Halloween fan. I don’t like the creepiness, the ghoulishness, and the goriness of the holiday. I just can’t get into it.
Halloween fell on a Sunday this year, which totally bummed Meghan out because she had a costume plan and friends to trick or treat with.
(As a side note, I am a supporter of teenage trick-or treating. I didn’t used to be. But now that I have a teenager-I way support her doing something that is not super naughty for Halloween. Plus, teenagers need treats too!)
Back to the whole Halloween on Sunday thing….we agreed as a family to not go out in the creepiness on Sunday. Our ward had a trunk or treat earlier in the week and that was our “main event”. We made an effort to dress up this year….mostly because Zach begged us to. Shae dressed up as Avatar—the Last Airbender.
(Fortunately he has the haircut for it.)
My cowgirl costume was way more lame, but Zach had a great time finding me a horse and hat at the dollar store.
Rachel always comes up with a clever twist for her Halloween costumes. This year she wanted to be a Native American and use a cornucopia to collect her candy in.
Her words: “I am going to fill this cornucopia with things I am thankful for: TREATS!”
Grandma was here visiting a few days before Halloween and whipped this costume up for Rachel in an afternoon.
Here is the sweetest, cutest, toughest little SWAT team guy ever! I look at him and wish I could just freeze time.
He is growing up way too fast.
Meg was sporting black that night to work in the “spook alley”
On Sunday night we got to work on our pumpkins. Zach’s pumpkin had rotted inside, so we painted it instead. He was pretty excited about it and only dropped his paint covered paintbrush on the carpet three times!
Meg wisely opted to paint a pumpkin rather than do the dishes.
Really—she truly is having a great time. I promise!
Leave it to Rachel to come up with “Cannibal Pumpkin.”
She was awfully proud of the work she and her dad put into it.
This Halloween, I stayed home from church because I am ill. While I was sitting at the laptop getting some Primary work done, I see a fairly large spider creeping along towards the keyboard. “Freaky” I thought. How appropriate for Halloween.
Then, later that night, I was taking a box of Halloween decorations out to the garage. The garage door had been open for a while because I had been loading my car earlier.
Suddenly in the dark, something huge leaps up over some boxes and runs out of the garage. I scream at the top of my sick lungs and only a squeak comes out. Shae hears my squeaking and comes out to see what I am freaking out about.
“A giant cat-a huge grey cat was tearing across our garage. It scared me to death!” I say.
He smiles and replies “Black cat cross your path?”
I hope that you all had a less creepy Halloween.
5 comments:
Ohh...this makes me miss you Lorenc's. :) It just isn't halloween without trick or treating with you guys. :) Our halloween consisted of the Bishop's family taking Ellie to the trunk or treat on Saturday, Cole home with the flu and Chet and Broc in Seattle for Broc's soccer game. :) Hope you get feeling better. :) love you!
I laughed my guts out over the cannibal pumpkin. Very clever and artistic. Glad you had some family fun.
Love,
nMGPa
I love Rachel's idea for her pumpkin. I've seen variations of that idea before. Too funny! This year though, I got an e-mail that said, "How pumpkin Pies are made." and someone set up a jack-o-lantern on a "potty" and made the face look as if the pumpkin was pushing real hard. Under the potty was an empty pie crust. Heehee.
What a great Halloween for not being much into it. I love how creative your kids are! Reading your blog is so fun!
I just caught up reading your posts from the fall (I'm REALLY behind on my blog reading), and it makes me wish we lived closer so we could spend time with you guys. It makes me sad that I haven't had the chance to get to know your family as well, but reading your cute blog and seeing all the fun photos makes me feel like we're not so far away!
Hopefully one of these days we'll finally get to come visit. :)
Post a Comment