Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Pray for Haiti

Don't we all need a wake-up call once in awhile?
Especially in January?

I know I needed one.

I admit it....I've been feeling the blues.

I've been feeling a bit sorry for myself.

Until tonight.

I read the news about the earthquake in Haiti.


Here are a few things I learned:


Haiti is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere, with 80% of the population living under the poverty line and 54% in abject poverty.
  • Haiti is the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere.
  • 80% live below the World Bank's definition of poverty.
  • Average yearly income is $240.
  • 80% of the population's average income is $100 a year.
  • 54% unemployment rate.
  • Average life span is 50 year.
  • 50% of children die before the age of 5.
  • 45,000 children die from easily curable disease such as dehydration, diarrhea and malnutrition.
  • A family would have to have 6 children in order to have 1 live.
  • 80% of the population is illiterate.
My grocery budget for two weeks is the same as the AVERAGE yearly income.
All three of my children are alive and well.
Gulp. There are no words.

6 comments:

Kraig n Melissa said...

Thanks for that great reminder and all those humbling facts, Michelle. We ARE so blessed and spoiled, really...so much to be grateful for. You have some really great posts! It's nice to keep up with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

It seems everytime we start feeling sorry for ourselves, something happens to get us back on trak. We are truely blessed. I know that I need to be more grateful for the things Heavenly Father has given me.

Mom

Holly said...

Thanks for the reminder. We are truly blessed aren't we?!

The Lorenc Family said...

Wow, I didn't know. I guess the Lord wanted us to notice these people. They need us, and the restored gospel. I wanted to send hygiene kits, but maybe there is a charity that helps with illiteracy or medicinal treatments? I'll at least go pray.

LW said...

I'm so glad you posted this. Every night before Chris and I fall asleep some how our conversation turns the the people of Haiti. There really are no words. All those Children need families, and I can't help but want to cry when I think of all those newborns, and babies, and toddlers who no longer have parents. I think of Kaia, and realize how truly blessed we are. Word's can't describe...

thehalvs said...

You have such a good heart.

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS