When we found out that Zach was going to need surgery to remove the huge plantar wart on his foot, I was determined to prepare him so he wouldn’t be scared. I brought home equipment from the hospital to show him what people wear in the OR. I gave him an oxygen mask to show him how he would get put to sleep in the OR. He calls it his “jet pilot mask”.
He had his surgery yesterday morning. We had to be at the surgical center at 6:30 am. I had a rough night trying to sleep, worrying about the surgery and trying to get rid of a migraine. The nurses he had were great. They had a panda waiting for him on this bed that he got to keep and take to the OR with him. It was hard to say goodbye when they wheeled him away. I was a crying mess and was so grateful Shae was there to be a strong face for Zach. I was going nuts waiting for them to let me see him again and it was only about 45 minutes—it is hard to be a nurse and want to be the one to take care of him.
The anesthesia left Zach feeling pretty crappy. It was so sad to see when we finally got to come to the recovery room. His pupils were dilated and he was crying and nauseated. He did not want to be in his hospital bed and kept begging to go home. The nurse said that he freaked out when he woke up and there was an IV in his hand. I should have prepared him for that. We didn’t have to stay long though and we were headed home. We had to stop at Target on the way to fill a prescription and Zach begged to go in although he was nauseated, groggy, and threw up 5 minutes after we were out of the store. You see…he is so my child.
When we got home and I told Zach he had to sit on the couch all day and rest his foot he got a huge smile on his face and said “ARE YOU SERIOUS?” He was in heaven watching TV all day and skipping chores.
This is the expensive surgical shoe--that insurance doesn’t cover-- that Zach has to wear until Friday. He is counting the days….sitting on the couch is great the first day, but today he is ready to RUN!
5 comments:
I am so glad you got the wart taken care of. I know with Brenda it was a pain, literaly. I think she would have rather had surgury. Maybe he will grow up to be a fighter pilot. We love that boy.
Gma
I can honestly say that I understand your sympathy pains for your kids!
Riley got his braces on Tuesday afternoon, and we just had a consult for both kids at the ENT and they BOTH have to get their tonsils out next Friday! I think I am more scared than they are!!!
: )
Jenny
Zach is so lucky to have you as a mom-it never would have occurred to me to prepare him so well. I hope he is healing well!
What a trooper!! He's a tough kid! I would have been a crying mess too!! What a tough week you must have had!
We are glad to hear he is doing well!!
Oh, Michelle! You did a great job being brave! I know what it feels like to have your child wheeled away like that! I am glad Shae was there, too! Thank heavens for husbands!
Post a Comment