Last weekend, Shae and Zach went on their first Father-Son campout.
As a parent, it was a much anticipated event. These past three years, there have been many dreams of what the future would hold with a new son. Shae has been waiting quite awhile to attend one of these campouts.
It was also much anticipated by Zach.
He started packing 2 weeks early.
It took so much patience to tolerate the enormous pile of gear he wanted to take. At the top of his packing list: his “fishie” blanket and his two favorite stuffed animals, Hippo and Ikea the Panda. He also packed every pair of underwear he owns, 3 pairs of PJ’s, a soccer ball, a bug vacuum, his yellow flashlight, and twenty monster trucks.
I am not exaggerating, by the way.
For weeks before the campout, Zach would explain to everyone that this was a “Daddy-Son” campout. NO GIRLS ALLOWED!
Not even Mommies.
(I just love his scraped up knees in this photo!) From what I hear, he was not that helpful setting up camp.
On the drive up, they discussed how to select the perfect place to set up the tent. The requirements?
# 1: DRY
# 2: FLAT
#3: SMOOTH
After scouting out locations for the tent, he declared “This a good spot.”
Then he went and played soccer.
If you know Zach, you understand that the biggest concern we had was if Zach would actually sleep through the night without his Mom. Dad is awesome, but he really likes his Mom during the night time.
He did great! He slept all night. As far as I know, he didn’t get out of the tent at night and wander around and fall into the river.
I was happy to hear that at 7am, his first word was a very unmanly “Mama?”
After several minutes of chatting in the tent, Zach was ready for a hearty breakfast of pancakes, eggs, and sausage. Then the boys made rockets with 2 liter pop bottles and launched them in the air. Zach says his went the highest.
WARNING: In case you are thinking of camping out, Zach says that the outhouse smelled like “cow poop”. And, there is no “flushing” in an out house or a sink to wash your hands. Little boy….I missed you. I cried when you drove away with Dad.
It was our first night apart--the first of many “Daddy-Son” campouts.
Please don’t grow up so fast.
11 comments:
He is so cute!! I agree with him on the outhouse thing! I hate to use outhouses!! That is such a fun memory for him, it is so cute that he packed for weeks.
That is adorable beyond words. In a few more years Jason and our Zach will do the same thing. I think these moments have a very special edge when we have to wait so long for them.
I loved the list of things of things that he had to take :).
I can't wait to see that cutie pie. What a fun time for him and Dad. Glad to hear he had a great time.
That is so cute that he packed 2 weeks early....I can see Carter doing the same thing. I guess he'll have to learn to pack light. What a fun memory this will be for the two of them. I know that my husband can't wait to take Carter on a Father and Sons outing.
Cute story and I can't believe Shae made it to 3 years old!! I think Andrew went on his first one at about 18 months-our "rule" as soon as they are weaned-they go!! Doesn't hurt that they are all so far apart!!
My little ones pack about the same way for things-we went to Charleston for Memorial day weekend and Delainey packed tons of odds and ends, with one VERY small bag with her PJ's-no more clothes! We had to work on that one!!
Ohh. I miss you Z! Come visit me!
xoxox-Syd the kid.
Very cute. He is growing up so fast. I hope that he and his Dad can do more campout and give you some girl time. Can't wait to huge that boy and his sisters, and maybe his Mom too.
Love,
Mom
Looks like way to much fun! Casey was BUMBED that he and Owen could not go. Next year will have to do.... his work schedule has been the WORST EVER! Zach looked so cute in all the pictures and Shae looked like he was loving every minute! We need to get the boys together to play!
I am so glad that all the parties involed here survived:) Carson pushed me away when I was trying to send him on his way this weekend, he was too excited to hug his poor mama goodbye:( I second the whole outhouse thing!
Looks like they had a great time. I dont know if we are going to make it down to Utah. Are you guys going to be around Idaho Falls for a little bit when you are out.
Wow! Great photography! It looks like they had a great time!
Post a Comment