Mother's Day.
I have experienced such a range of emotions on this day, throughout the years.
I remember a Mother's Day when I was expecting my first child. Breakfast in bed which I promptly threw up thanks to morning sickness. That was bliss.
I remember a Mother's Day when the pain of not having another child was so acute, I would have to exit church and sit in my car crying.
I remember a Mother's Day that I mourned the loss of a precious Grandmother to celebrate.
I remember a Mother's Day holding a brand new baby daughter and my gratitude was full.
I remember years of Mother's Days when I was again longing for a child. When my heart was breaking, and I would try to smile when people told me how lucky I was to at least have 2 children. I was lucky, no doubt. But I was hurting.
I remember the Mother's Day that was bliss because of an amazing birth mother. It was a day that I cried tears, but they were tears of joy to be holding a precious son in my arms...
and then there was today.
Today was the most perfect Mother's Day.
Today I keenly felt how quickly these three precious children will grow up and leave my home.
I took joy in the little things.
Like when Zach tried to bring me "breakfast in bed". He slammed a box of Lucky Charms next to the bedside table and yelled "eat this!"
Like when Rachel wrapped her small gift for me in a "ginormous" box and also made me about five handmade cards and wrote a beautiful poem for me.
Mothers.
Kind, gentle and sweet.
They hold you when your sad.
They understand when you are mad.
They cook for you and clean for you.
They ask you "how was your day?"
And if you feel bad,
they feel your sorrow.
Mothers keep you going
and they keep you on track.
Everyone,
appreciate your Mothers.
by: Rachel
Like when Meghan went shopping for a gift and picked out something that I had wished aloud for a while back. That girl gets me. She knows what I am into. She is so thoughtful.
How about when those children sing Mother's Day songs to you at church. One child is almost too old to be up there and one is up there singing for the first time, blue eyes poking out from behind a taller child's head.
Like when Zach ran to me in the hall at church exclaiming "Mom! love you!" He really means it and it melts my heart. His fingers were stained with yellow paint (his fav) from the card he made me...a keepsake of his 3 year old hand prints.
Like when a sweet husband works so hard to make everything run smoothly so you can have a special day. And he gives you a hug and says "thanks for taking such good care of all of us."
Like when you are able to see your mother (via web cam) and thank her for all the years of love and caring she has poured upon you.
Family...I love you all.
And to those of you still waiting for your perfect Mother's Day,
hang on,
today was worth the wait.

5 comments:
Thank you for this post. I am still bawling. Started this morning, and I have no idea when it will end. Thanks for this sweet post!
Last year was my first perfect mother's day-after years of ups and downs and there is nothing like the sweet joy and peace of moments like those.
Shell,
That is a sweet blog. It helps me to realize that there are lots of different kinds of Mother's Day. Sometimes they are great and some times notso, it just depends on your expections and what is going on in your life at that time. I hope all the rest of your Mother's days are like yesterday.
Love,
Mom
I'm so glad you had a perfect Mother's Day. Mine was perfect as well :)
I am so sorry it has taken me so long to get caught up with reading all of these. That was the sweetest thing ever! Rachel must have inherited your lovely writing talent:) I miss all that little family of yours as well! It is seriously time for us to all be together again:)
Post a Comment