Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A June Day at the Zoo

Last Saturday we decided to skip working on our yard and house and spend the day at the Detroit Zoo.  It was such a beautiful day! 100_9118Zach’s favorite animal right now is the tiger…maybe it has something to do with his favorite baseball team?100_9124

So we went to see the tiger first.100_9120100_9119   The prairie dog exhibit at the Detroit Zoo is really a kid favorite.  The kids can crawl into tunnels and “pop” up right in the middle of the exhibit.  100_9159 

This time, Zach went up with Rachel.  I missed the shot, but a prairie dog came right up to Zach and was pawing at the glass. 

Zach came out and said “that little fella wants me to hold him!”100_9157

Zach loves the cotton candy at the zoo.  Ok. I’ll admit it, so do I.

I still have vivid memories of the first time I ever tasted it as a child—blue cotton candy at the Ice Capades in the Salt Palace in Salt Lake City, Utah. 

100_9156

Meg was a great sport.  The zoo is maybe not her very favorite thing at this age.  She might have liked it better if our zoo had her favorite animal….pandas.  She dressed like one though.100_9148We stayed to watch Rachel’s favorite animal—the hippo—for a long time.  100_9145She was really hoping to see this animal do something. 

He did open one eye for a second…   100_9142    I was amazed by the Chimpanzee family who had a new little baby.  I loved watching the mother care for him—playing with him and hovering near him.   100_9128

They were so “human-like”.  The father and mother—cuddling, but always aware of the location of their little one.100_9127100_9126

We saw four polar bears—they were really active and fun to watch. 100_9136Zach was not too thrilled to sit this close to one to get his photo taken. 

He was so afraid he would fall in…even though Shae has a firm grip on his legs..   100_9135100_9131         100_9141Shae loved THIS sign in front of the Penguinarium Exhibit.

(Too bad the Wings lost since this photo was taken…)100_9162We found our favorite picture taking rock….100_9121

and we were once again reminded how quickly time flies by.

image 6-11-2008

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cute. Meghan is looking so grown up, without glasses she is going to look older and very pretty. Wish we could have gone to the zoo with you.

Mom

Miss said...

Wow! How fun is that? How cute pictures too. We've got to make a trip to MI sometime. That zoo looks awesome!

JANEAL said...

It sounds like that is a great zoo. You got some cute pictures. We love going to the zoo. The thought of going in the tunnels for the praire dog exhibit makes me closterphobic. I'm sure kids love it but not my idea of fun.

Head Over Hills said...

What a fun day for you guys. I still want to come out and go to that zoo with you guys. We are getting so excited to see you guys!!

Anonymous said...

Wow...look at those little sweeties. What a great picture to have and cherish! :) I am glad you had fun and was able to take a day off. :)

Nichelle said...

Your zoo looks like it is pretty fun. I usually am not a fan of the zoo. You kids are so cute, I am glad that you guys were able to take a day off and go have some fun as a family. :)

Brenda said...

oh Crap, that picture makes me feel REALLY old! Why did those cute little things have to grow up! I miss Mae Mae and Rae Rae!! Its been so long, I almost don't remember what that place looks like! Here's hoping I can take a picture on the picture rock some day:)

Caleb & Marci said...

Looks like a lot of fun! I am with Megan I wish there were pandas at the zoo too! They are all getting so big!

The Lorenc Family said...

Aww. That last picture just melts my heart. How sweet and little and they just change so fast! I love the pic to Meg, she looks so beautiful in her "panda" attire! I don't really like prairie dogs but maybe seeing one up close would be worth popping up into one of those tunnel things! Way cool!

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS