Monday, May 17, 2010

Washington DC

Over Spring Break, we went with my parents to visit Washington DC.  We picked a great week to visit:  the weather was amazing and the cherry blossoms were so beautiful.             Washington DC- April 2010 092 Washington DC- April 2010 090However, I think we managed to pick the busiest week

ever to be in DC. 

The crowds were a real bummer that first day.  We had to wait in long lines just to enter the museums and there were “too many people on display.

(to quote my Dad)100_9412 One of our favorite memories of that first day was sitting on the grass next to the Washington Monument for a picnic.  It was beautiful.  The Lincoln Memorial was off in the distance and the Potomac River was to our left.  Helicopters kept flying over the river towards the White House.100_9390As we were eating, Zach noticed we were all sitting in a perfect “Duck, Duck Goose circle.”  I wish I could have gotten a photo of him calling Grandma the Goose and of her chasing him around the circle.  We played for about 30 minutes—laughing like crazy.  Zach started to get creative and call people Star Wars Characters…Luke, Princess Leia, Darth Vadar….GOOSE!

(I found it to be particularly funny when Zach selected  “Jabba the Hut” for Grandpa.)Washington DC- April 2010 007  After lunch, we visited the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History.   For Zach, seeing the dinosaur and the sabertooth tiger bones was more exciting than Christmas Day!   Washington DC- April 2010 019    Washington DC- April 2010 017         Rachel had a great time at the museum too….100_9406(hippos…her favorite animal) 100_9399Washington DC- April 2010 022The girl just gives me the best photo ops! 

It was difficult for the adults to enjoy the museum because it was so crowded and impossible to stay together.  When we went to see the Hope Diamond, the crowds were so unbelievable—literally pushing and shoving to get a better look. 

Meg’s favorite part of the museum was probably the cool red sunglasses she bought while we waited in line to enter.

(and yes, she did a fair amount of texting in DC.)100_9413Next we took a long walk over to the Lincoln Memorial.  Despite the crowds, I felt emotional as I read the words of the Gettysburg address inscribed on the walls.  My heart swelled with gratitude for the great people who shaped our nation.  100_9417Washington DC- April 2010 026Seriously…there were people everywhere.  While my Mom and I waited in a 45 minute line for the bathroom, Rachel and Grandpa tool a walk around the back of the Memorial.  It was peaceful and deserted back there and that became one of Rachel’s favorite memories in DC. 

Washington DC- April 2010 033

More tomorrow…..

4 comments:

Head Over Hills said...

Great pictures! You do have a nice camera! It looks like a ton of fun!

Anonymous said...

It was a great trip. Thanks for reminding me. It is so fun to look at those pictures and remember the trip. I was telling Brenda yesterday, that I remember so much about the trip, except I can't remember what our roome looked like. I remember the hotel and all around it, the lobby, the laundry, but not the rooms. How strange is that. I will never forget Zach talking chinse to our waitress that last evening in DC. Love the new look of the blog.

Love, Mom

Katie said...

Wish I'd known you were here . . . i was down in DC twice that week enjoying the Cherry Blossoms, and you are right, that truly is the MOST CROWDED time of year to visit DC. Apparently everyone comes for the cherry blossoms and it is a nightmare . . . But it's still a wonderful city. Glad you could enjoy it!

The Lorenc Family said...

Michelle, your hair looks so cute! I enjoy reading about your visit. The spirit is in it.

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS