(I just got released from my church calling working with the cutest kids in the ward....)
It was strange to be able to open my scriptures and not wrestle any children.
I just sat there, absorbing the peace and the time to ponder.
It has been a bit bumpy around here.
Migraines have rocked my world this week, and the daily pressures of my life seemed to reach the boiling point.
Then today in Relief Society....
The teacher was talking about balancing our many priorities as LDS women.
She likened it to going to a buffet and picking out 5 or 6 of your favorite things to eat.
"You can't eat the whole buffet" she said.
Wow. It was an epiphany for me.
Cuz' lately, I have been trying to eat the whole buffet.
I set way too many goals and have been trying to do way to many things at one time.
yep....I have too much on my plate!
I pictured myself in Idaho.
We go to Chuck-A-Rama everytime we are out there visiting.
It is a grandchild tradition that started years ago when my Grandpa took me as a child.
I pictured myself there...weighing all the options, talking to my sisters about what they think is good and what I should pass up.
I get a scoop full of potatoes and a huge salad.
I might get a roll and a few pieces of shrimp, careful to take just a bit of each item so I don't overfill my plate and I save room for dessert.
Why do I not expend the same energy as I fill up my own proverbial "plate" of my life?
I am reminded of the talk by Sister Beck about the choices mothers must make.
(such a great talk)
I am so glad that I went to church today.
I almost didn't make it.
A buffet: one hundred wonderful options--
but simply no way to fit them all on your plate at one time.
Phew.
I feel like I can give myself permission to breathe and enjoy my time at the salad bar.

9 comments:
thanks for the reminder! What a great analogy! I LOVE It! :)
At Stake Conference, Saturday, adult meeting. The Idaho Falls Temple President spoke to us on a something close to that. He talked about urgent things and important things. He said in our lives the urgent things seem to get the most attenion, when it is the important things we should be working on.
Love,
Mom
Love it! I think it is inspired! I to need to remember that I cannot eat the whole thing! I wish you were her to go eat at CHuck-A-Rama! Another Day I guess....
You are such a great woman. I love being able to check in on the ups and downs of your life. Thanks for being brave enough to sometimes list the downs along with thoughts and ideas that help you out. Love you-
Jenn
You are so right! I am glad you were able to enjoy going to RS. I haven't been able to do that in forever either (Soren took me out that week when all us Primary people got to go anyway). It is great how we are taught what we need to hear. I do think I need to switch up some of the things on my plate, though. Too much fun and not enough work!
Thanks for posting that talk from Sister Beck. I read it and loved it! It has made make several changes to my week already. She spoke recently in Souther California and I am giving you the link to some of the things she said along these same lines. http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/56597/Be-at-the-top-of-your-game-Sister-Beck-urges.html hope you have a great week.
Thank you! I needed that reminder this week. Why is it that we always think we must "eat the whole buffet"? even though we, somewhere in our rational minds, know that it isn't possible?
I too am doing some rearranging...
What a great idea. Sure wish there was a Chuck-o-Rama closer than 1000 miles away! ;) I loved the post though.
Great idea! I am feeling stressed.. I think I need to drop somethings... How about chores, school, and I will still do piano?
Post a Comment