Friday, March 7, 2008

Sacrifices

Rachel's third grade class has been studying the lives of pioneers.
Today they are going on a field trip to a log cabin and will be spending the day living like a pioneer.
Of course, they were encouraged to dress the part.
Rachel caught me at weak moment and begged me to sew her a pioneer dress.
I said yes, and we went to Joann's where she picked out a pattern and the fabric she wanted. This dress has been a major labor of love.
(She happened to pick out a much more difficult dress than I had pictured sewing.)
I spent several nights up sewing until 1:00 am trying to finish it by this morning.

She was so happy when she put it on--and so grateful.

That reaction made it all worth it.

The loss of sleep, the pin pricked fingers, the messy house that didn't get cleaned while I was sewing....all worth it.
She looked so cute, It made me wish I could have dug MY pioneer clothes out of the attic and gone on the field trip with her.

(Photo is from a Pioneer Trek we went on in 2001) This whole experience got me thinking about sacrifices:

Sacrifices pioneers made to explore and settle new frontier,

sacrifices of time and sleep made by a mother who loves her daughter,

sacrifices made my my own Mom in my behalf...

(I know for a fact there were many nights she lost sleep sewing a dress for me.)

I am pretty sure that is what life is all about.

Making sacrifices for the things we believe in and for the people that we love.

5 comments:

The Barbers said...

It turned out beautiful! My instinct is to say I wish I could sew but more acurately I wish I liked sewing at all. I've tried before and just didn't like doing it! More than once though, I've wished I liked it and had the knowledge.

Anonymous said...

Michelle,
I knew you could do it. You did a beautiful job, just like on your curtains. I wish I could of helped, but if I was closer I would have done it and you wouldn't have had this experience with your daughter.

MOM

Head Over Hills said...

You did a fantastic job. It turned out beautiful. What a neat experience to have. Thanks for sharing it. And also the perspective. I know for a fact I need to do more to sacrifice for those I love. Good Job.

Leisha Mareth said...

Oh my goodness, how cute! I'm sure she was the cutest pioneer in class! We have a similar place around here called "Log Cabin Village" and they have the kids in for a day doing the same thing. It's such a great idea! Although, I may be begging to borrow that dress....I do NOT sew! lol!

Casey * Haley * Avery * Owen said...

Michelle, the dress is so cute. You did a great job and Rachel looks adorable. You are a wonderful Mom and a great sewer. I have a new sewing machine that never gets used. I need to take sewing lessons from you...Avery will soon want these fun things, and I am not prepared!

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS