Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Chicago

We are home--back from our mini vacation.
It was a bit of a shocker the first day...kinda like jumping on the treadmill that is already going 4.5 mph.



We had a great time in Chicago.
We arrived late at night and completely enjoyed the beautifully lit skyline.


We stayed in the Seneca Hotel, in a nice little "mini apartment".
The location was so great--walking distance to Navy Pier, Lake Michigan and literally steps away from the HUGE John Hancock Tower and Water Tower Place shopping mall (home of the American Girls Doll store).
We spent our first day at the Shedd Aquarium.
The weather was AMAZING the entire weekend and we loved just being outside.
Our first night there, we went to see WICKED.

(It was the second time that the spoiled Lorenc girls went.)

It was "Wonderful" and I loved watching my daughters thrill at the musical experience.
(watching them, I was remembering my awe at "Les Mis" in London when I was 17)
On our second day, we had lunch on the top floor of the John Hancock Building.
This is a photo of our table.

I am so glad that my Mom thought to take photos of our view from the top.

(I was too worried that my kids needed a brush up on their manners to remember the photo op.)



We didn't have much shopping planned, but we did make a visit to the American Girl's Doll Store. The girls loved it, but Zach kept begging to go to a "boy's store." You can imagine his excitement when we walked around the corner, we found this Chicago Fire Station. The firemen invited us in and even let the kids sit inside the engine. Minutes later, as we played on the playgound next door, we watched the engine get called out to go help someone. Zach loved watched the engine take off with lights flashing and sirens blaring.We ended our days in Chicago with a trip to Navy Pier. As we walked to the pier, we were very interested to watch the window washers--so busy at work--like Spidermen--just hanging there.

Not a job I would ever dare to have....
As we continued walking towards Navy Pier and were stopped by a man standing next to a couple of ambulances. We could see search and rescue workers ahead in the waters of Lake Michigan. Curious--we thought they might be looking for a body or something. As we got closer, we could see cameras and a movie crew. We discovered they were taping for an episode of ER--so if you ever see a scene with a pink stroller bobbing in the water, we were there when they filmed it!

I was a little bummed that none of the cute doctor/actors were there--but the ambulance drivers were awfully handsome....
We had a nice walk on Navy Pier enjoying the skyline, the weather and the beautiful view.

We stopped for some ice cream and french fries. Zach had a great time feeding the fries to the birds who would hide up in the tree and come swooping down when food was offered.
Can you see them hiding in the tree?

We had a great time, and after two busy city days, we were looking forward to the second half of our trip: hiking and relaxing by the beach in Sagatuck, Michigan.
Stay tuned...more to come tommorow!

8 comments:

JANEAL said...

It sounds like everyone had a great time. You got some great pictures. How lucky for your girls to get to see Wicked twice. I really want to see it.

Holly said...

What a fun trip! I agree with Janeal, I'm dying to see Wicked!! :)

Nichelle said...

Sounds like so much fun!! I wish I could see Wicked!! I am dying to go, I can't decide if I want to spend that much for one show???

Unknown said...

What a fun trip! It makes me a little sad that Ryan isn't launching in Chicago right now, but I am glad he is here to help me out instead and I don't have to do a bunch of traveling back and forth with 2 little ones. Maybe next year, though!

Head Over Hills said...

Your trip looks like so much fun. I'm glad you posted so many pictures. Haylee asked me where you guys were at. I told her Chicago and she says she wants to go too. I'm so glad you guys had a good time.

Brenda said...

I can't believe so much happened while you were there that I didn't know about! When Moma nd Dad leave we will have some serious catching up to do! Looks like a blast! Can't wait to show the kiddos the pictures.

mattandhonor said...

Makes me homesick still!! Sounds like a total fun vacation!!

Hallie Owens said...

Yours is the only blog I read from top to bottom. I love it! There are great pictures of your kids!

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS