
I don't know if it is the cold, the lack of sunshine and outdoor time or just that fact that the month seems to last forever.
We are feeling it here.
The January Blahs.
Even Zach seems to be craving outdoors and sun and a green lawn to play soccer on.
As I laid in bed last night, knowing my sister was running her son to the ER with croup, I felt so lucky. I felt lucky to live in a day when modern medicine is available. I felt lucky to have a cozy bed, with a toasty electric blanket warming my cold toes. I felt lucky to have a job and lucky to have all my children safe in their beds.
[You might have heard this before:]
If you woke up this morning more healthy than ill, you are luckier than millions of people that will not survive this week.
If you have never experienced war, the loneliness of jail, the agony of torture or starvation, you are better off than 500 millions people.
If you can go to your church with no fear of humiliation, jail, being tortured or killed... Then you are luckier than 3 billions people in the world.
If you have food in your fridge, clothes in your closet, a roof on your head and somewhere to sleep, you are richer than 75% of the world population.
If you have money in a bank, in your wallet and some coins in your moneybox...You are one of 8% richest people in the world.
If your parents are still alive and together...You are a very rare person.
I think the key to the January Blahs is to make a "luck list". Somehow, it is hard to feel sorry for yourself when you can see a tangible list of your many blessings.
What are you feeling lucky for today?
8 comments:
I too have learned that my mental well being revolves somewhat around the sun and my exposure to it. Though I dislike living in Vegas for a few reasons, one thing I am greatful for is the occasional 65-70 degree January days we get. And we sometimes start wearing shorts occasionally by the end of Feb.
I feel lucky to have a wife with perspective!
-Shae
What a great reminder for everyone. I too am so lucky. Your post made me sit for a few minutes and think about what I have truly been blessed with. I have everything I need. Healthy and happy family, wonderful extended family, a home,the gospel, and the best mom and sisters anyone could ask for. Yes, I am so very lucky!
I feel lucky that I had to run to the ER last night, and not tonight! Glad we have an ER!!! Thanks for the great reminder- I was feeling the same way!
Thanks for the reminder-we have a had a rough week too (including a visit to the ER) and realizing how lucky we are that everything is ok now and giving thanks for the blessings that we have always makes me feel better. I too will be glad when spring gets here however.
I think in this time we all need to make a blessing list. IT could be alot worst. I have so much to be greatful for, great kids, great in-laws(sons and daughter), extended family and health(even though I am fighting a cold). Life is great if you look at the good and not the bad.
Love,
Mom
I feel lucky to have family and freiends whom love and support me. You should come to VA. It is a little warmer here...we just had a 70 degree day :) We would love the company..can you imagine our oys together, a sleepover. Kate would be in heaven having your girls all to herslf.I miss my friends.
Love Shell Boz
Oranges, fresh citrusy ones... roses... and the library!!
Post a Comment