Sunday, August 17, 2008

Auto Or Manual?

Wow--that photo hurts my eyes.
But it is how I feel.
Lately I keep shaking my head and telling myself:
FOCUS michelle FOCUS!
Today I finally figured it out.
I have been in a funk for several weeks--just not feeling like myself. I think that I have been operating in "auto focus" mode. I have been trying to keep up with my responsibilities but keep feeling pulled from one emergent stiuation to the next--like a camera scanning a landscape, but not certain which tree or rock to focus on.
It is not that I am feeling overwhelmed, although I should be.
I basically feel like I am moving through the motions of my life without real purpose or planned direction. I realized today that I need to switch myself over to "manual focus". I need to take control of the camera lens and decide what needs to be forefront right now in my life.
Tonight I was reading a conference talk by Sister Beck:
(click on the title to read it)
Here is the part that really stuck out to me in my quest for focus.
"Mothers who know do less...They allow less media in their homes, less distraction, less activity that draws their children away from their home. Mothers who know are willing to live on less and consume less of the world's goods in order to spend more time with their children—more time eating together, more time working together, more time reading together, more time talking, laughing, singing, and exemplifying. These mothers choose carefully and do not try to choose it all."
Conclusion: I NEED TO STAY HOME!
We have been going too many places and doing too many things and it is seriously affecting our family.
We are going to give it a try this week. I am cancelling some things and changing some priorities in exchange for some precious "home time".
(I will let ya know how "manual focus" goes. )

12 comments:

Katie said...

This is such a good reminder, and just what I need today as we gear up for our last week of summer before the kids start back to school. I was trying to think today what fun things we should go and do before we go back to school, but after reading this, I'm going to think of what fun things we should stay home and enjoy together before we get busy again with school and fall schedules.

Thanks for the perfect reminder, just when I needed it!

michiganbliss said...

Great conference talk. Great reminder.

Nichelle said...

I feel like I am always on the go too. That is a great reminder and I should try to work on that too.

Holly said...

I too LOVED that talk. It was SOOO true!! I need to hop on your bandwagon and do the same! Yes, do let us know how it goes!! :)

Jenn said...

Michelle,
I really get this. I wouldn't have thought to explain it like that, but it really fits.
Today is the first day back to school and this has helped tons with my manual focus. The other awesome help for me was having my sister Courtney and her 5 kids move out on Friday. I'm so charged up now and feel so light now that I can focus in this new way. Wishing you all the best!

The Barbers said...

I enjoyed that talk alot. I am not a person who goes. I spend as much time at home as anyone could think to do. My problem is using it wisely. I feel so stiffled in our tiny space and no motivation for things I should do. Involving my kids in more family work is something seriously lacking for us.

thehalvs said...

I think most moms feel like this sometimes if not often. I know I do. It is such a juggling act. I always feel torn between letting my kids have every oportunity I can, and searching for the calm that we all crave sometimes. We've been trying to find ways to scale back the kids' activities this year and it's so hard! If Audrey is going to get into BYU she needs to study hard, rack up some volunteer hours and continue to play violin with the Tacoma Youth Symphony, and for her own self she needs to go to seminary, mutual, and camp. She needs drivers ed (which has taken up half the summer) because I've seen her try to drive. She needs physical activity and social time too. Did I mention how she is just one of my five kids!?! I know how much we all need calm and quiet, but I have yet to figure out how to make it a reality. If you come up with any big discoveries, let me now. Great article by the way. If I can only figure out how to make it happen more often. Love you Michelle. Wish we were closer. Jenn

Anonymous said...

Michelle,

That's a great analogy and would make a great church talk. Maybe when we are in Michigan (just bought tickets) I will mention it to your new bishop.

Sister Beck's talk is a classic that we will be quoting for many years.

Love,
MGPa

Brenda said...

Do you see how our papa can't be all nice! He still has to add a little naughty!!!! I talked to you this morning, and you should have told me to read your blog! I think I need to stay home, do something with my children, and get the boy to take a nap! Doesn't your whole day go better when they actually aern't exhausted? Time to slow down!! Also thanks for the reminder right before school starts, I will remember to not sign up to help with EVERYTHING at the school!!! It makes my poor little family suffer!

Anonymous said...

Michelle,
I also love and reference this talk sooo much in my life! Thank you for always being so busy serving those of us who aren't handling our hectic lives as well as you! :) Now that I am back, you can stop serving our family and hopefully that allows you more home time! Love you-
Jules

♥Seri said...

Hey Michelle:
This is Seri (Aaron's sister) :). Your blog is darling! I loved your analogy and reference to this talk. I loved listening to Sister Beck give this talk. As with everything in life, it is imperative to maintain a balance in all things. That is key and that is difficult. As we are continually reminded of it, we can realign ourselves, our families, and our schedules to keep on course.

Brenda has finally talked me into doing a blog, and I am excited to soon be on board with the blogging world!! Yeah!
sericope@hotmail.com

Maren said...

As has been said already, thanks for the reminder that Sister Beck's talk has so much to offer and I should re-read it more. Also, I love the photography analogy!

Moving to Vermont 4 years ago gave us the opportunity to slow down and CHOOSE our pace of life rather than feeling like we had to keep up with everyone and everything in the world. We've definitely been happier because we "do less".

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS