I have a sweet friend.Her young and beautiful mother is battling cancer. Her husband's mother has been battling a debilitating disease and just passed away this past week. This couple is experiencing some very tough trials right now (and many of the trials I haven't even mentioned)
Do you ever wonder how you will handle tragedy?
Tonight I attended the mother's viewing.
As stories of her suffering were shared, my mind was racing with thoughts.
Life Changing Thoughts.
Perspective raced through my head. Gratitude flowed in and completely filled me. Then Fear creeped in, as I wondered if it was "my turn" to experience the unthinkable--as if trials were like waiting in line at the drinking fountain.
But the thought that lingered the most for me was Preparation.
What am I doing now to strengthen myself for tough times?
Is my faith strong enough to carry me when it is "my turn"?
It seemed to be written just for me.
Here is my favorite part.
"How fragile life, how certain death. We do not know when we will be required to leave this mortal existence. And so I ask, “What are we doing with today?” If we live only for tomorrow, we’ll eventually have a lot of empty yesterdays. Have we been guilty of declaring, “I’ve been thinking about making some course corrections in my life. I plan to take the first step—tomorrow”? Such tomorrows rarely come unless we do something about them today...May we resolve from this day forward to fill our hearts with love. May we go the extra mile to include in our lives any who are lonely or downhearted or who are suffering in any way. May we “[cheer] up the sad and [make] someone feel glad.”
There is simply no room in my brain for
Jealousy, Unkindness,
Ingratitude, Impatience, Selfishness or Fear.
I choose to not let them be there.
Of course I am not naive enough to think that I can just shove them out so easily. But as I try to make those course corrections, make daily changes, set goals for myself, and refine my character,
I hope I can replace those thoughts with the sort that will truly bring lasting joy and peace.
On a lighter note....
Happy 4th Birthday
Haylee!

We so love you.
(and we hope you liked your cake)
4 comments:
Thanks for the reminder. I too need to make some changes in my life. Thanks for thinking of Haylee.
I wish more people could learn this lesson. Life is so short and we need to do all we can to worrying about the important things in life. People spend too much time worrying about who did what to whom and who affended me. Even thru the tough times, we can make good memories to take with us when it is time to return to Heavenly Father.
Mom
Michelle, I love reading your blog. You are always so honest in the way you feel. And I am glad you share the things you are learning on a spiritual level. I feel the spirit when I visit here and I am glad to learn from the lessons you are learning.
When do you find the time to read these talks so often? :)
P.S. I keep trying to figure out why you can't comment on my posts. I changed a setting or two... try again? If not, I'll give you access to my blog so you can check it out for me!
Another article I liked recently is from the summer edition of BYU magazine. Bruce Hafen explains why trials are so important. I had the same sort of fear feelings as you thinking "What will I be required to endure?" I like your idea of being prepared.
Post a Comment