Monday, August 11, 2008

Greenfield Village

Today we took our friends Bridger and Hunter to Greenfield Village.
Greenfield Village is in Dearborn, Michigan. It is a "Village" of homes and historically significant buildings that Henry Ford collected. For example, the home he was born in is there as well as Henry Firestone's farm house. Thomas Edison's workshop is there (where he invented the light bulb.) We saw the home of Daniel Webster--creator of Webster's dictionary.
The weather was beautiful and the train rides were free today--so that made it even better.
Things move at a slower pace in the "Village". We love to visit the Working Farm--where all are dressed in Pioneer clothes and modeling pioneer living: cooking over cook stoves with recipes that are from cookbooks from the 1800's. They get water from a well to water the garden by hand and the general feel is that you have stepped back in time.
We were wishing Shae could join us, since he just works across the street, but work has been CRAZY for him and he wasn't able to sneak away.
We were all bummed.Rachel loves to visit the print shop whenever we go there.
The lady today let her help run the printing press.
There is a pottery shop, tin shop, a glass blowing shop and all have live demonstrations.
I loved watching the pottery be shaped and decorated.
Zach wanted to help too.
Thanks Hallie, Mike and Landon (isn't he a cutie!) for inviting us.

We had a great time.

(Sorry I did not get a photo of Hallie!)

I think we all had to agree that the frozen custard was our favorite part of the day.Wish we could slow this summer down a bit...and have more lazy kid days.

3 comments:

Holly said...

I agree with you... let's slow summer down!! :) Cute pics of your kids!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun.

Hallie Owens said...

Thanks for posting such a great blog! The picture I took of you and Zach is so cute! I am glad you guys had fun. We are happy to meet you at Greenfield Village anytime.

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS