Gas prices, food prices, lay-offs...and just a need to be more financially prepared have been weighing on my mind. We did a bit of figuring and realized that gas alone is going to cost us about $1800 more this year.
That is a major bummer.
I was feeling particularly depressed about it this afternoon.
To cheer my spirits, I headed out to run some errands with my kids. We ended up at Costco to pick up a few items and the girls asked if they could get a box. (They love the boxes they give you to pack your groceries into.) They make houses for stuffed animals with them. I personally hate the clutter and was about to say no when Meg reminded me--the boxes are FREE.
I smiled and said "go ahead and get a box, you can even get two if ya want." They excitedly started digging through the boxes to find the most unique ones. A man working there told them--"take as many as you want." I am not sure what possessed me, but I said ok. So they filled up an entire cart and a half with boxes to bring home.
Three silent hours later they came out of their bedroom to show me "Boxton Falls"--the city they made out of boxes.
It was clever.
It was amazing.
It was one of the best things they have done all summer,
and it did not cost a thing.
(except maybe my sanity as I try to tolerate their "box town" left out for many days to come.)
I love these kids.
They really cheered me up when I was feeling down today. They knew I was feeling discouraged and did all that was in their power to help me feel better.
I am SO grateful for my family.
And GRATITUDE is exactly the balm I needed today.
Check back tomorrow--I may have two guest bloggers show actual footage of "Boxton".

6 comments:
We are feeling it too! My attempt at potty training to prevent having 2 in diapers failed miserably, so we have that extra expense coming up too! I can't wait to see the creations tomorrow. Thanks for the sweet comment on our site.
Kids are so creative....I love it! I'm excited to see "boxton falls". Who knew a cart full of boxes would be so much fun?
I'm sick of the prices of groceries and gas. I swear everytime I go to the grocery store they raise the prices. And the worst part is....it's just going to get worse.
P.S. Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. I appreciate you thinking of me :)
Can't wait to see the pictures! Maybe me and the kids will head to Sam's club to to make our own box city!
That is so creative. I would have never thought of that. I sure wish I had half the creativity of my girls. I can't wait to see the pictures.
Oh man, I love it! I'm always trying hard to get my kids to "use their imaginations" more! I love that it was free and grew their brain cells all at the same time!
p.s. I feel ya on the money crunch. If it isn't one thing it's another...our money feels like grasping sand sometimes...it just slides right through your fingers!
Hey Michelle! You are in luck...I do have some supplies left to make another frame. I would be happy to make one for you. Just email me(tysonandjaneal@gmail.com) your address and I'll send it to you.
Post a Comment