Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

Yesterday we hung our flag out in the front yard in remembrance of Memorial Day.

I love the feelings that I experience when I look at that flag. It is a symbol that comes to mean more to me each year.

This year, I am not sure that I did very good job teaching my children about Memorial Day and about the opportunity we have to honor and remember both the soldiers and loved ones who have died. If you asked my kids what it meant--I think they would say picnics, friends and days off from school. I will do better next year.

But today I was certainly thinking of Grammie. Grammie's house was always such a welcome sight after the long drive from Idaho to Ely, Nevada. I loved that house--so clean and bright. I was remembering today how Grammie would store her rubber gloves after she washed the dishes. (She would rinse them and put them over a old juice can so they could dry out.) Or--how she would washed the dishes twice to get them very clean.

I loved how she wore such pretty jewelery and had such beautiful handkerchiefs. Her house had this smell that was like a mix of Dove Soap and flowers and cleaner.

I loved the food at Grammie's house--especially the jello pudding pops in the freezer. I loved waking up in the morning to the most amazing breakfast spread--and I loved walking out and seeing my Grandparents there. Grandpa would be eating his grapefruit or cereal with wheat bran while he read the paper. Grandma was almost never sitting down. She was chopping fruit or washing some one's dish--or just fussing over Grandpa.

Today I was certainly thinking of Grandma Glenna and Grandpa Lyle. I still miss them so bad that it hurts sometimes. I wish they knew Zach. I wish they could get a smile out of the funny things he does, or see what neat young women Meghan and Rachel are growing up to be.

I wish they knew what an impact they still have on my life.

I wish they had been able to come to Michigan. I think they would have loved to go to Mackinac Island or Tahquamenon Falls. I think Grandpa would have loved Henry Ford Museum.

I wonder if they would be proud of the choices I am making and the little family I am raising. I would love for my kids to get to swim with Grandpa Lyle and read books with Grandma Glenna.

I want them to be remembered for they were truly great people.

I am so glad that these great-grandaughter's (Morgan, Isabell, Paige and Haylee) were able to go visit their graves this Memorial Day. It made me smile to hear Haylee wanted to clean the graves with wipes and make them beautiful.

Thanks Haylee for honoring them in that way.

Thanks everyone for being there and for decorating their graves and for remembering them.

To Grandma (who is my role model):

"Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose.

~From the television show The Wonder Years

To Grandpa (who truly lived life with a grin and hated to touch peaches):

"To live in hearts we leave behind

Is not to die."

~Thomas Campbell, Hallowed Ground

8 comments:

The Michiganders said...

Mom--WAY TO GO for fixing FIVE heads of hair each morning. They all look darling and that would not be an easy task!

Love ya-
Shell

Head Over Hills said...

What a sweet tribute. Thank you for doing this Shell. I really wanted to post something like this but ran out of time yesterday. Thanks for making it a priority when I didn't. I miss them too. I am so grateful mom and dad took the girls with them. I know it was an experience they will remember for a long time.

Brenda said...

Well, Thanks for making me cry. I went over to mom's house the other day, to dig through the Grandpa and Grandma memory trunk! I almost don't want to open it and let out that smell that makes me think of them! Thanks for even more memories! I will Always miss the yummy breakfast smell, and you forgot to mention cantalope and Pero!!!

Anonymous said...

Michelle,

Thanks for the very nice tribute and all the memories it brought back. I hope some day we can include some Lorenc children in those photos.

Love,
MGPa

Anonymous said...

I;m with Dad. It would be so nice to have all the grandkids go. We might need a little help with 9, but it would be exciting. Thanks for your beautiful blog. I love reading it.

Love,
Mom

Holly said...

Thanks for another inspiring post! :)

Brian and Leilani said...

I can't wait to meet Lyle & Glenna. They sound not only like great people, but fantastic grand-parents. I know Brian misses them too. I'm jealous of the relationship you had with your grandparents. I kinda missed out on the whole grandparents thing. I love hearing your stories about them and I'm just glad that my children will get to have two sets of wonderful grandparents.

Jared and Katie said...

I really appreciated your post. I don’t think that a day goes by that I don’t thing about them too. I too am deeply saddened that they won’t be around for my wife and kids to know in this life. I never got to go visit them in Sacramento, or take a trip with them to Hawaii, but I feel like I was so lucky to have them around so much for the little things.

Katie and I were in Ely a few weeks ago. Becky and I took her and Chad by B 13 to see the house grandpa grew up in. We drove by Bradley’s Grocery Store and the McGill pool on our way to a picnic up at Timber Creek. We also rode the four wheelers out by big ditch and toward the Witch’s House where Grandpa would take us for walks. We didn’t make it to Cave Lake; we will have to save that for our next trip.

I hear that you are coming out soon. Hope we can meet up while you are here.

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS