Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Motown

Last week, Uncle Aaron came to visit us. We decided to take a trip into downtown Detroit to see the sights and go to a Tigers baseball game. The weather was beautiful and we made some fun memories.
I think that our fair city gets a bad "rap." Get it--rap? Motown....
(Despite it's nickname "murder city"--there really are some beautiful places downtown.)
I love to see the huge boats that travel up the Detroit River from Lake Erie to Lake Huron. They are so massive and move so quickly through the water.
(In the background, you can see Windsor, Canada.)

This is a picture of Meghan and Rachel waiting to get on the "People Mover", an above ground type of subway. A ride on the people mover gives you a chance to see alot of Detroit quickly.

(I find it so sad to see many of the enormous syscrapers completely vacant or covered in grafitti and with the windows broken out.)

If you come to Detroit--we will have to take you to Pizza Papalis (yummy Chicago-style pizza) and dessert at the Astoria Bakery. There are so many amazing desserts--my kids were amazed.

Here are a few Detroit landmarks--Joe Louis's fist....the Detroit Princess steamboat...
the River Walk....
I personally love the riverwalk. You see all sorts of interesting people down there. Today we saw old men fishing off the pier and young people out for a jog.
One set of fishmen had a BBQ grill heating and tunes playing on a "ghetto blaster". Funny--I always thought you needed quiet to catch fish.

Shae even found a friend.

(This really freaked Zach out. It took us awhile to explain what statues were.)


They say that the Detroit river is full of guns and other evidence of crimes...

but I think it makes a lovely backdrop for Zach's blue eyes.

I heart Michigan.

7 comments:

Brenda said...

I can't believe that when I have come to visit, we have never gone downtown!! We must spend too much time shopping or cleaning or talking or eating or.....Next time maybe? Thanks for taking on my hubby, and showing him a good time!! Your kids are looking older and different, which definetly means, it is time to see each other again!!! Glad it's only weeks away!!!!

Leisha Mareth said...

Murder city, really? Yikes! It certainly is beautiful! Wonderful pics (esp. the statue one, lol!)

The Michiganders said...

Unfortunately yes--Murder city. Detroit is well known for both it's high crime rate and another nickname: "Motor City", which is where murder city comes from.

Hallie Owens said...

I want to experience all that D-Town has to offer and now you have added two more great looking places to eat on our list. Thanks Michelle!

Anonymous said...

How come we have never went downtown? Maybe we will get the chance this year.
Mom

Head Over Hills said...

Those pictures are awesome. I need to plan another trip out there. It would be so much fun. There is never enough time to do everything when you go somewhere.

Casey * Haley * Avery * Owen said...

These are great pictures of Detroit. We will have to venture down and take our family to see the sites. We never think to head down to the city! Cute pictures of you kidos!

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS