Thursday, May 15, 2008

Tragedy and Heartbreak



I have been riveted by the coverage of Monday's tragic earthquake in China. I feel a connection to all of these families and especially the mothers who lost their children the day after we celebrated Mother's Day. I can't stop myself from looking at the news photos~photos too heartbreaking to share: parents grieving over the child they lost or holding photos hoping their child might be found. I can't stop thinking about people trapped and dying in debris.

My heart is breaking for those families who sent their children off to school for a normal day. Now, they will never know normal again.

Life after the earthquake will never be the same.

My heart hurts for their losses.



I feel so ashamed that I get frustrated with the things that happen in my perfectly NORMAL life. I wish there was a way to keep the perspective I feel now in my daily thoughts. I wish I didn't complain about making dinner in a kitchen that is not in ruins. I wish that I felt true joy every time my children come home from school and need to do homework and practice piano.
I wish that I fully appreciated each day I got to spend with them.
I want to show more gratitude for my blessings and busy days.

I want to cherish the time I have with my family and my friends.

I want to appreciate the things that I have: the home, the food, the transportation, the comfort, the opportunity that I enjoy.
I want to be less easily offended, and more likely to see the best in people.
I feel so helpless.
Perhaps the best thing I can do is to try to change me and live a more grateful life.

5 comments:

Holly said...

THanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings on this. You really touched me deeply. It's all so true.

Holly said...

I loved your post so much, I linked it on my blog, do you mind? If you do, please e-mail me at sunshineinmysoul_33(at)yahoo(dot)com and I can unlink you in my post. Thanks!

Casey * Haley * Avery * Owen said...

This is really heartbreaking. I to feel so lucky to have all I do... this makes you think twice about the hard things you think you have in your life! Love the post!

Head Over Hills said...

Thanks for the perspective big sis. My life's not so bad.

Brenda said...

I stayed up really late last night looking at photo's and reading news articles, after the email you sent me. Then I went and laid in bed with my kiddo's, (except not in Carson's KIB,) and promised myself today was going to be a better day at our house! Thanks for the perspective! Even if it is a messy house- it is at least a house!

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS